Sichuan/Szechuan Spicy Fish 四川水煮鱼肉片 is the most famous dish in China Sichuan province . A mixture of beautiful ingredients (spicy board bean paste, garlic, ginger etc) makes a very aromatic soup base for this Sichuan/Szechuan spicy boiled fish dish. Other important ingredients are Sichuan peppercorn, which provide the signature numbness (mala麻辣) and dried chillies, which provide the signature spiciness. This is a good choice if you are thinking of bean sprouts recipes, sweet potato noodles recipes or coriander recipes at home. Use less chilli oil if you want to make it a healthy home-made Chinese cuisine. What a wonderful Sichuan hot pot cuisine.
- 1-2 Chinese shallot 紅葱, finely chopped
- 1 slice of ginger, finely chopped
- 100g cucumber and bean sprouts (or other vegetables you like)
- 1 bunch of coriander, slightly chopped
- 1 bunch of sweet potato noodle 薯粉
- 6 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn 花椒, slightly grinned
- 10 dried chili red pepper
- 4 teaspoon of chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoon spicy broad bean paste 辣豆板酱
- 1 cup water and 1 cup chicken stock (1tablespoon of chicken powder)
- 2 tablespoons of chilli oil
- a pinch of salt if needed
1. Thinly slice the fish. Marinate the fish with sesame oil, corn storach, white pepper, salt and Chinese cooking wine for 15 mins.
2. Boil the cucumber and bean sprout. Transfer them into the serving bowl. Cook the sweet potato noodle in boiled water for about 15 mins. Transfer the noodle to the serving bowl.
3. Heat up 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in low to medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and onion. Stir well for 30 seconds. Then add half of the Sichuan peppercorn and half of the dried child pepper and tablespoon of spicy board bean paste. Stir well for 30 seconds.
4. Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup chicken stock. Wait until it boils, add the marinated fish. Cook the fish in medium heat for a few minutes until the fish changes colour.
5. Transfer the whole content into the serving bowl.
6. Put the coriander on top of the serving bowl.
7. Then add 2 teaspoons of cooking oil/spicy oil on the pan. Add remaining Sichuan peppercorn and chili peppers in the pan. Stir fry for 30 seconds in low heat.
8. Pour the content on the surface of the serving bowl